Betting The House On A Pair Of Deuces

Untitled document

According to David Corn, that is what the left has just done. The "list" that Corn wrote about the other day has, according to Corn, been forwarded to organizations on the religious right by "gay people of a non-Republican bent".

Copies of The List (see below) have been sent by gay politicos to a variety of social conservative groups that look to the Republican Party to make their religious right dreams come true. The recipients include the Christian Coalition, Focus on the Family, the Family Research Council, the Alliance for Marriage, Concerned Women of America, the Eagle Forum, and the Southern Baptist Convention. Officials at most of these groups have had something to say about homosexuality and gay rights in the wake of the Mark Foley scandal.

What's the point? The senders–gay people of a non-Republican bent–seem to be hoping to set off a civil war within the GOP, to turn the anti-gay social cons against the GOP's Velvet Mafia.

And so the Foley matter is the spark that sets off this whole chain of events. I believe it is a gross overplay of the hand that has been dealt here. I do not think the result will be – even remotely – what the left assumes it will be. They are, I think, victims of their own rhetoric. They have charged for so long that Republicans and Conservatives loathe gays that they really believe it. While there are some who do, they are a minority. Many on the right who oppose gay marriage hold no animosity toward gays on an individual basis. Many religious individuals who hate what they perceive as the sin of homosexuality nonetheless love the sinner.

They just bet their whole house on a pair of deuces. I think they made a bad bet. We'll see.

This entry was posted in Bad Ideas, Left Wing, Politics, Religion. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Betting The House On A Pair Of Deuces

1. Dan says:

“They have charged for so long that Republicans and Conservatives loathe gays that they really believe it. While there are some who do, they are a minority.”

And yet conservatives constantly speak of the moral majority that the GOP has over the country. It seems to me that the loudest elements of the Republican party and contemporary conservatism are the folks that really do have an anti-gay agenda. Republicans as a whole have no one to blame for the sentiment that the GOP hates gays but themselves. Where are the moderates who don’t “hate gays”? Why don’t we hear from them? Why doesn’t the party reject the fringe elements of the hard right?

2. syn says:

Funny I have met homosexuals who ‘hate gays’ based on the principle that gay activists are politicising their lifestyle, in my friends words he is ‘over the rainbow and wants his life back’. Seriously, living in NYC I am used to using the word ‘gay’ but then I met a few homosexuals who stopped me in mid sentence with the words “I not gay, I’m a homosexual!” That was a first for me and made me realize just how much my own PC was stereotyping people.

When you mention ‘anti-gay’ agenda are your referring to same-sex union between a man and a woman otherwise known as gay marriage? Frankly, same-sex union between a man and a woman is irrational and unless we redefine the word marriage as was done under the Defense of Marriage act (signed by a Democrat president who must be a gay hater Dan) the idea of same-sex union between a man and a woman will never be accepted.

Most christians I have met, by the way, believe much like what the Dalai Lama preaches as in ‘love the sinner, hate the sin.’ Curious, how come christians are stereotyped as ‘gay haters’ while Buddhists and Muslims are never stereotyped as ‘gay haters’?

3. Anchoress says:

They’re victims of their own projection and prejudice. This is NOT going to play out the way they think.

but it will take our eyes off of any fraud being planned.

4. Bill Franklin says:

This is just what I predicted was the source of the list, and the reason for the list’s creation! You’ll probably accuse me of some inside knowledge, which is fine, but not the case.

I’m trying to imagine how this will ‘not play out well’ or is betting dueces. What is the probable downside? I also disagree that most conservatives are tolerant of homosexuals, but I have no statistcs.

I suspect you’ll be surprised Bill. Most Conservatives are not the cartoonish picture you have been led to believe they are. Are some intolerant? Sure. It’s a much smaller number than you can comprehend, I think. What most are opposed to is the activist gay agenda, not the people themselves. There is a huge difference.

6. Bill Franklin says:

I know or have known dozens of conservatives Gaius…heck, two them are in my golf foursome. I was raised Republican. My experience is that older (50+), less educated, non-world travelled conservatives are intolerant of gays (and foreigners)…at least after a few beers when they reveal their real opinions. Yes, sweeping generalizations based on a limited sample, which is why I’m not stating this as “fact,” but my observations.

I did some quick googling to see if there are any quasi-scientific polls on the subject that disprove or prove my observations, but the closest thing I found was that the majority of conservatives believe homosexuality is a choice and not something with which you are born. And of course the gay marriage issue. One could make some inferences based on those opinions, but nothing concrete.

In any case, my opinion is not based “on what I’ve been led to believe” — as if I’m a 15 year old neo-Maoist who’s read about conservatives on moveon.org’s web site. Because I’m not a left winger (contrary to how you want to paint me) conservatives open up to me and express their real opinions.

Actually I find it laughable that you and the other “rightroots” conservatives stand up behind Republicans. They aren’t conservatives, at least not as Buckley (a true intellectual conservative) outlined the philosophy. PJ O’Rourke was on the mark when he said “The Republicans are the party that says government doesn’t work and then get elected and prove it.”

If you ban me an never approve another post here, at least do me the favor of reading this:

At what point do you stop and say “enough is enough?”

7. JoeS says:

The dhimmocrat party seems to have two planks in the platform:

1. Spreading hatred

2. Surrender in Iraq

Plus

Raising taxes to kill the economy

We need to press them to make commitments for their plan.
    They have none.