Who Says They Aren’t Serious?

I remember growing up in Rochester, New York when there were still some small, old fashioned amusement parks in the area. Right in Rochester was Seabreeze Amusement Park, at that time it had slipped into a state of seedy disrepair, still functional, but old and run down. It was kind of the lower-level park in the area. (Interestingly, Seabreeze managed to reinvent itself in later years and is still around today.) The other major amusement park was Roseland, in Canandaigua, a bit South and East of Rochester itself. That was the better kept of the two parks, but it is no longer there, the land sold for real estate development. Both parks had, as I recall, Tilt-A-Whirl rides. Those were not new inventions, they were already fixtures of many amusement parks all across the country having been introduced in 1926. Many a child and adult tossed their cookies as a direct result of those infernal machines (I loved riding them – it was fun trying to walk when you got off the ride). Now a lawmaker in Minnesota has stepped up to the plate to address the yawning need of nostalgic boomers to relive their childhoods. Or something like that.

ST. PAUL – State Rep. Patti Fritz, DFL-Faribault, has introduced a bill designating the Tilt-A-Whirl the official amusement ride in Minnesota.

Fritz said she's taking up the cause of 52 kindergarten students from her district who say it deserves special attention because it was invented in their town.

"I represent children too," Fritz said, adding, "Minnesotans like to have fun, and it's a fun thing to do."

The Tilt-A-Whirl is a platform-type ride consisting of seven freely spinning cars holding up to four riders apiece.

I didn't realize that "DFL" meant "Demented Feel-good Lunacy". But there you have it; today's serious state legislatures addressing serious issues all across the country. Seriously.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Who Says They Aren’t Serious?

1. Lars Walker says:

I’ll have you know that I, like the Tilt-a-Whirl, was born in Faribault, Minnesota. Therefore I fully support this progressive grass-roots initiative, as part of my ongoing campaign to have myself designated Official State Washed-up Midlist Author. And tomorrow–the world!

2. Rightmom says:

Yeah this is really important what with Somali’s dictating the type of work they are willing to offer the fine dhimmi’s of Minnesota, I find it perfectly reasonable to be taking the time to make stupid little gestures to those who are not paying attention to the real world. Good luck MN with your sharia problem because your elected officials are not going to be doing anything about any time soon.

3. feeblemind says:

I prefer to see legislators pursuing frivolities of this sort. The more time they spend on trivia, the less time they have to damage the state with bad laws, rules and regulations.

4. Evil HR Lady says:

I’m always loved your blog, but now that I know you’re from Rochester it makes me love your blog even more. Had a garbage plate lately?

My son will be having one when he visits there next week, but not the downtown location – the one in Gates.

6. Evil HR Lady says:

My husband ate a garbage plate at the Gates Nick Tahoe’s about a year ago–we’d gotten to Rochester late and he was hungry, so where else to go?

He was sick for two days. He reported that as a teenager he used to eat 2 garbage plates in one sitting. Apparently, once you pass 30, your stomach can’t handle the 96 grams of fat.

Heh- which one did he have? The pork chop garbage plate?

8. Pingback: Blue Crab Boulevard » One Last Egg Cream For The Road

9. Evil HR Lady says:

I think it was a cheeseburger one. I ate about two bites of his. Blech.

I’m not native to Rochester and that, apparently, is a requirement to stomach those.

I do enjoy a good white hot. And frozen custard. mmmm–we’re going to Rochester for Easter.

I don’t think you have to be a native, you just have to have a cast iron stomach…..