Fraud Alert

I just got an email that urged me to denounce "scandalous treatment" of some climate change dissenters.

Dear Gaius,

I admire your site – thank you for everything you do.

I would like to draw your attention to the really scandalous treatment of some academic colleagues by what seems like a kind of 'climate change mafia'. I am an astrophysicist with an interest in issues related to climate change. But please do not mention my name to anyone in connection with this.

As you can see here, Daniel Klein and colleagues have published a paper which completely shatters the theory of ‘manmade global warming’:

I'm not going to publish the link, but the sender(s) constructed an elaborate website, complete with editorial, article, contacts, logo, etc. A couple of things set the alarm bells ringing, but suffice it to say that when I tracked down the Whois, it was kind of a dead giveaway:

Domain ID:D21379999-LRMS
Domain Name:GEOCLIMATICSTUDIES.INFO
Created On:02-Nov-2007 14:50:19 UTC
Expiration Date:02-Nov-2008 14:50:19 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R139-LRMS)
Status:TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Admin Country:GB
Admin Phone:+44.1654761590

Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:

The site is five days old. There is no Daniel Klein at the University of Arizona. There is no search engine presence for a Climatological Department, Okinawa University. Cyberium.co.uk is a web designer that appears to work on "green" things pretty much exclusively. And there appears to be someone with entirely too much time on their hands and an agenda.

Any blogger interested in the original email, contact me and I will forward a copy to you.

UPDATE: New post with additional information here.

This entry was posted in Blogosphere. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Fraud Alert

1. SJ Reidhead says:

I think something like that was in my “inbox” a few days ago. I get so much spam I paid no attention to it, but it sounds familiar.

SJ Reidhead
    The Pink Flamingo

2. N. Johnson says:

I would appreciate a copy of the email, with headers please.

Nope – it just came back – blocked by a spam filter on your end.

4. John Mashey says:

There’s a good discussion over at DeSmogBlog.

However, it was exposed far too quickly.

5. I’m going to go out on alimb here and suggest that this is teh work of David Thorpe from the UK. Wrote a bunch of comics using a sort of anti-hero gang along the lines of The Gang that Coudn’t Shoot Straight. He’s gotten into writing about dystopia’s where clearly the reason is Man’s dependence of technology. From his blog:

Looked at another way, it’s patently obvious to anyone that with all the global sustainability indicators divebombing, the human race, with its skyrocketing population growth and resource demands, is killing its host with its parasitical activity.

If God put humans in charge with dominion over the beasts, that was his big mistake. The children couldn’t take that level of responsilibty. They hadn’t grown up enough.

And such a stance ties in remarkably with a new novel he has put out and the comic _it’s_ supposed to generate. About humans who adapt to new illnesses created by our level of technology.

Slick marketing or another loon? I’m not sure yet.

6. Pingback: Blue Crab Boulevard » Fraud Alert Update

7. N. Johnson says:

Can you try this one? (And feel free to delete this comment if you want)

Resent to new email address.

9. Sean M. says:

Hmmmm…The only David Thorpe I know of used to write funny music reviews here.

10. Howie says:

Y’all are doing it right. Just be sure to provide a link to the website and a copy of the TOS it violates in your emails to the providers abuse dept. The blogspot blog he has will not go down. I dunno why ask, google. But you have a good start. also that look like the DNS registrar. You also need the service the server is on.

inetnum: 193.254.210.0 – 193.254.211.255
    netname: VISN-MCR-LAN
    descr: Vision Internet – Manchester Network
    country: GB

abuse@visn.co.uk

11. Pingback: Blue Crab Boulevard » Frustrating

12. Pingback: Another Cute Lefty Hoax « Nice Deb

13. American Thinker follows your lead in categorizing this as a sophisticated piece of work. I beg to differ- no one actually familiar with _Science _ or _Nature _ on a weekly basis, let alone someone familiar with the run of atmospheric science journals on view in a university science library could mistake his pate of pure gibberish for one of the nourishing products of say The American Geophysical Union.

Yack radio’s lack of science editors is reflected in the magazines and op-ed pages that cater to its listeners . The genre’s abandonment of scientific reality in favor of the metaphysical concerns of The Base makes folk like Limbaugh the lawful prey of the cranks they welcome as well as hoaxers that lay in wait.

The contrast between talking heads who don’t know what they are talking about, and Green true believers who long ago ceased caring may not afford an edifying spectacle, but it is amusing.

I did not call it sophisticated. I called it elaborate. I had it pegged as phony in a few minutes. Just the overwrought language was enough to do that. It took about 1/2 hour total to gather the evidence that it was a fraud – most of that time was spent triple checking everything.

It was, however done with malicious intent. While you may think that’s a pefectly fine way for the world to work, I don’t particularly.

15. Pingback: Blue Crab Boulevard » The New Luddites