Shame

I read this in the Daily Mail and had to walk away from my computer and right out of my office. When I came back,it wasn't any better.

Soldiers who suffered appalling injuries in Iraq and Afghanistan were verbally abused as they swam in a public swimming pool.

During a weekly rehabilitation class at a council leisure centre, 15 servicemen – including several who have lost limbs or suffered severe burns – were heckled and jeered by members of the public.

One woman was so incensed that the troops were using the pool at Leatherhead Leisure Centre in Surrey that she told them they did not deserve to be there.

She became increasingly abusive, screaming that it was wrong for staff to rope off a lane exclusively for the injured personnel from the nearby Headley Court rehabilitation centre.

The swimmer, thought to be in her 30s, is understood to have said: "I pay to come here and swim – you lot don't."

The abuse was witnessed by 79-year-old Korean War veteran Charles Murrin, who said yesterday: "I could not believe what she was saying.

"The lane was roped off, which they do every week. It wasn't as if the pool was completely closed. Her group had the rest of the pool to swim in.

"She said the men do not deserve to be in there and that she pays money to come in the pool and they don't."

I do not think it is out of place to offer to take up a collection to offer this – for want of a better word – person a refund. So she can go find anther place more conducive to her selfish needs.

I suspect the public pool would be much improved by the removal of certain, unsavory elements. And the wounded soldiers wouldn't have to put up with the vulgar, thankless and ugly trash.

This entry was posted in Support the Troops, World news. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Shame

1. Snooper says:

Naw…just hang her…that kind of crap need not be tolerated.

2. syn says:

There is Soldier’s Angels Europe which provides a place for people to show their respect and support coalition forces.

As for the woman, just wait until the West’s femhags
    enter their golden years when their ugly whining is going to be unbearable.

3. Maggie says:

I don’t want to be anywhere around people like this when “Hell To Pay” comes down the pike for them …

4. NortonPete says:

I read the whole article and I do not understand the headline because there is no mention of children being upset anywhere in the report.
    The 30 responses are heartening and maybe some good will come out of this such as the pool they need. The vets are a tough lot who deserve better but this kind of discrimination occurs in every walk of life.
    I once overheard a person who encountered a disfigured individual who was walking on a NYC sidewalk about this time of year say, “there ought to be a law prohibiting these people from being about and ruining everyone else’s holiday”.
    The person was simply shopping like everyone else.

5. FedUp says:

One has to wonder, that if some disfigurment befell those who loudly condemn those who are, especially those who became disfigured in the defense of those ‘outraged’ individuals… just how would they react? Would they hide under their beds? A pox on them and their ilk!

6. Sylvia says:

My first thought when I read the words “soldiers” and “swimming pool” is that I would have been drooling over their, um, musculature. I feel revulsion towards evil and rudeness (ranting women, especially!), but when I look at and speak with our wounded soldiers I feel respect, compassion, and for the guys, often lust! What is *with* people who can’t see the beauty in the human form and spirit?! Grrr. If I had been poolside, I would have put a flea in that woman’s ear.

7. Jim says:

Conservative MP Patrick Mercer, quoted in the article, had the most accurate response,

It may well be that these people had paid for the use of the pool, but our soldiers have paid so much more for their country.

8. Pingback: Blue Crab Boulevard » Shame - Part Two