Fights Crime – And Leaves A Clean, Fresh Scent!

Want to freshen up the air and drive away unpleasant people at the same time? Use a can of Oust on the criminal elements! That's precisely what Margaret Taylor, a British postmistress did.

Air freshener is good at getting rid of unpleasant smells but a postmistress managed to clear the room of gun-wielding robbers when she grabbed a can of Oust and sprayed the raiders in the face.

Postal worker Margaret Taylor fought off two men who burst into her post office waving a gun and a knife.

The 42-year-old picked up a bottle of Oust – which claims to do "more than just eliminate odours" – and sprayed the raiders in the face.

The fumes proved too much for the balaclava-wearing robbers and they ran out and jumped into a car.

The incident, in Hyde, Greater Manchester, was captured on CCTV and one of the robbers, described by witnesses as "past his prime", was heard shouting "Wait for me, Pete".

Manager Martin Cronshaw, 54, said his wife Sue had had a gun held to her head in a previous attack and another time he was attacked with a samurai sword which sliced through his hand.

Doctors fought for five hours to save his thumb, but despite this, Mr and Mrs Cronshaw are determined not to be beaten.

Mr Cronshaw said: "We have been held up five times in eight years and although this was not as bad as on previous occasions when the robbers were more determined, we had to feel sorry for the people in the shop.

"But this is our business and sadly this kind of thing is the way of the world now."

Who knew crimefighting could smell so nice? There is a substantial reward being offered for the arrest of the clean, fresh-scented criminals. The police should be able to sniff them out.

This entry was posted in Criminal Masterminds, World news. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Fights Crime – And Leaves A Clean, Fresh Scent!

1. Lars Walker says:

It makes me furious that decent people like these are continually victimized by British weapons laws, which declare a continual open season on law-abiding citizens. Hurray for her for finding a way to fight back, but the odds are against her.

Are you sure she’s British? Sounds more like an American woman (my wife comes to mind) to me!

3. Lars Walker says:

The opening paragraph of Gaius’ post identifies her as "a British postmistress."

4. NortonPete says:

She should have held a lighter up to the mist, instant flame thrower.

I know that works with hairspray – that is how potato cannons work.

6. NortonPete says:

I’m reminding myself at this time that children read this site, they don’t need any  bad old ideas.

7. Mockinbird says:

The people of a country who have to defend themselves with Glade and hairspray are not citi ens, but subjects.

8. Al in St. Lou says:

Is "balaclava" French for ski mask?

9. Uncle Pinky says:

NortonPete,

Those aren’t bad old ideas. They’re scientific research and learning moments. “Danger is an excellent teacher and makes for apt pupils” and so forth.

At least that’s what I always told my mom. My dad only seemed to mind if he had to drive me to the ER that time.

Some pupils are more apt than others.

Uncle “No Eyebrows” Pinky

10. NortonPete says:

Uncle Pinky,
    My mom was a nurse and had to be called back from her job when me and my brothers were being transported to the emergency room. You see, we discovered that potassium permanganate, which anyone could buy and mix it with ###### , would create rocket fuel. Now all my brothers were  aspiring astronauts, so we thought it was allowed. I still have scars on my hands 45 years later.

11. Uncle Pinky says:

NortonPete,

I envy you for having a mom with the nursing calling. I also believe that it is a good thing that kids can not get their grubby little lunch hooks on potassium permanganate these days. That stuff makes just about anything combustible. I will not, however, allow my hideously scarred carcass make me Nerf the world. That is probably why I’m an uncle rather than a parent.

A good many of my scars come from things that were not, in fact, boneheadedly my fault. I learned from those as well; but the lessons that have stayed with me most are the ones in which (between the moment of the boom and the onset of the pain) I could say “Jeez, that was dumb. Should’ve seen that one coming.” Kids need to fall down sometimes, and pick themselves back up as well. Your comment has provided some impetus to a notion I’ve been noodle-ing around for a while: Scoutmastering. Kids are going to do dangerous things, but it would behoove us if they are supervised, or educated in handling dangerous situations safely.