Splitsville

Barack Obama officially jettisoned Jeremiah Wright today calling Wright's remarks – in recent days, at least – "divisive and destructive."

"The person that I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago," he said. "His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate, and I believe that they do not portray accurately the perspective of the black church."

"They certainly don’t portray accurately my values and beliefs," he said.

"If Reverend Wright thinks that’s political posturing, as he put it, then he doesn’t know me very well and based on his remarks yesterday, I may not know him as well as I thought either."

How badly did Wright poll for Obama to reverse himself from his support – just a month ago or so – of Wright's venom? I would guess it was very badly indeed. James Joyner thinks Obama has stopped the bleeding with this. Possibly. But I'd point out that a lot of damage has already been done and that there is blood in the water now. This latest Wright explosion happened just as many voters were beginning to pay attention. Personally, I suspect Obama barred the barn door about a week after the horse moved out.

This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Splitsville

1. Neo says:

Isn’t it just a gift from the Gods that the Rev. Wright seemed to give Obama this great seconds chance to have that conversation on race.What BS !!Frankly, the whole thing felt fishy from the beginning. Making it worse was the effort to blame Clinton for setting up the Nation Press Club affair where Wright could oh so well re-self destruct. But, of course, it would be topped off by Obama’s attempt at a Sister Soulja Moment.Only a political novice would ever believe that this was a coincidence. Even Karl Rove isn’t this obvious.The whole thing is just too easy that it stinks to high heaven.And, of course, it still doesn’t explain why Obama sat in Trinity UCC for 20 years ?

2. James says:

Has anyone come up with a reasonable concept as to why Wright and what he says makes Obama unqualified for the office of president?  This issue is still much-ado-about-nothing.Almost….It does show that Americans are anti-religion even though they like to say they are the opposite. In America preachers are suppose to be able to rant and rave on any topic they choose; provided the topic doesn’t cross IRS laws.  It now appears if the cable pundits don’t like the topic, or the style, or the manner of the preaching, they have the right to declare a scandal. Looks like freedom of religion in America has new limits and new overseers.Maybe this is a good thing after all. Just have to wait and see.Wright and Hagee, all bad people; but then in the end, aren’t all pastors?

3. Pingback: This ain’t Hell, but you can see it from here » Blog Archive » Wright under the bus? Think again.

4. Bleepless says:

So Obama and his wife spent 22 years in church not listening to the sermons or reading the magazine.  Right.  I also believe in the Easter Bunny.

5. Marybel says:

Direct quote from a Jodi Kantor article in the NYT dated April 30, 2007:  "A Candidate, His Minister, and the Search for Faith"
    "Mr. Wright, who has long prided himself on criticizing the establishment, said he knew that he may not play well in Mr. Obama’s audition for the ultimate establishment job.
    “If Barack gets past the primary, he might have to publicly distance himself from me,” Mr. Wright said with a shrug. “I said it to Barack personally, and he said yeah, that might have to happen.”
    This "escape" from Wright’s anti-American rantings has been planned all along if things got too hot for Poor Barack…
    This is simply more political expediency from Barack H Obama and his pastor, all agreed upon beforehand!  Some "divorce."

6. Mockinbird says:

Oh well. Barack can always run again for the Senate…or risk getting thrown in Gator Pond.

7. Sam says:

Actually, James, a good preacher talks about God, and Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, and the Old and New Testament, and Peter and Paul.  Love and sacrifice and forgiveness and service to those in need.  Admittedly I haven’t heard that much of what Pastor Wright has preached, but have yet to hear any of the above mentioned by him.  Oh and by the way, my wife is a pastor.  She preaches about the above subjects, and doesn’t rant and rave on politics or anything that Pastor Wright does.  Perhaps you need to step inside a real church and find out what it is all about.  You seem to have some pretty distorted ideas of the church from the tone of your comments.

8. Pingback: Barack Obama Finally Sees Problems with Rev. Wright Speech … Divorce Because he Called him a Politician | Scared Monkeys