Obama’s Weirdness

The interview on faith and religion I mentioned the other day is a gold mine of weirdness.  Let's look at what Obama thinks is going on when he is speaking to crowd as a political leader:

OBAMA: IT’s interesting, the most powerful political moments for me come when I feel like my actions are aligned with a certain truth. I can feel it. When I’m talking to a group and I’m saying something truthful, I can feel a power that comes out of those statements that is different than when I’m just being glib or clever.

GG: What’s that power? Is it the holy spirit? God?

OBAMA:
Well, I think it’s the power of the recognition of God, or the recognition of a larger truth that is being shared between me and an audience.

So, it seems clear that when Barack Obama feels strongly about something it is because he views it as touching something of the divine.  So, if you hold a different political position on one of those matters you are at best a fool and at worst evil.  Either way you are standing against the will of God, which happens to coincide with the political principles of Barack Obama.  Aren't we lucky?

Now, this I just found interesting:

GG: Who’s Jesus to you?

(He laughs nervously)

OBAMA: Right. Jesus is an historical figure for me, and he’s also a bridge between God and man, in the Christian faith, and one that I think is powerful precisely because he serves as that means of us reaching something higher.

And he’s also a wonderful teacher. I think it’s important for all of us, of whatever faith, to have teachers in the flesh and also teachers in history.

So what have we got here?  Obama thinks Jesus is A) an historical figure, B) a bridge between God and man, and C) a wonderful teacher.  The truth is there is nothing particularly Christian about those views.  Muslims, for example, hold much the same view of Jesus.  It is Christians who believe Jesus is the son of God, the redeemer of our sins, the maker of a new covenant…in short the Messiah.  All of the specifically Christian views of Jesus seem to have escaped Obama's notice, or they have been rejected.

Which is it?  I don't know, but it sure seems like Barry Obama is one weird guy.

This entry was posted in Politics, Religion. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Obama’s Weirdness

1. Sue says:

This just states what a bunch of us have known for a long time, Obama thinks he is the Messiah.  Barack Obama is not the person he portrays himself to be.  He is dangerous to the people of this country and to the country itself.  I don’t know what his agenda is, but it can’t be good.  His wife stated that Barack wasn’t going to let you set and do nothing, but was going to make you participate.  Now, what does that mean?  That doesn’t sound like a free society to me.  If you delegates don’t see this man for what he is, or I should say, for what he isn’t, then you don’t deserve to have the honor of being a delegate.  You had better think before you vote in Denver.

2. sam says:

I would say that Obama’s characterization of Jesus doesn’t sound that far off from that of some other liberal Protestant Christians of the sort that like looking for the "historical Jesus".  Reducing Jesus to a historical great teacher along the lines of Ghandi, MLK, or the Dalai Lama, because his fully human/fully divine nature and his resurrection are too hard for them to accept.Not my beliefs to be sure, but not that uncommon in some circles.

3. Rich Horton says:

For Unitarians/Universalists I believe, yes, but I cannot think of a mainline Protestant denomination that professes to believe Jesus was only "this really cool guy."   Do individuals writing within those faiths come across just as you described?  Absolutely….but I dont think they are representing accurately the professions of those denominations.  Obama should have said he was a UU and much of this could be avoided.  But, he wants it both ways because he wants to make it pay off politically.

4. David Moelling says:

As you said most of Obama’s writings or interviews are a gold mine of weirdness.    It’s clear his attachment to religion is to adopt inner City "blackness", but he would really be a UU as your previous commenters have noted.    It’s the need to be "black" that baffles me.   He grows up in Indonesia and Hawaii where his skin color is not a big deal, goes to the ivy league then feels this need to become oppressed?   He picks up Malcomn X speaking mannerisms and attempts to out Black Panther Bobby Rush?
    The guy has serious issues.

5. Mockinbird says:

He ain’t no Eric Clapton.

6. syn says:

The guy has serious issues
    I takes a sick mind to advocate against  Born-Alive bill which Obama did as State Legislator in Illinois; how did this madman get the nomination.

7. KRW says:

He ain’t no Eric Clapton?  Well he ain’t no Jimmy Page either!
    Thanks for the laugh Mockinbird, I haven’t thought of that T-shirt in years!

"But, he wants it both ways because he wants to make it pay off politically."

This is exactly right. The Obamessiah, more than anything else, is a complete political opportunist. Everything he says or does, including the church he attends in Chicago and his "I want it both ways" stands on prominent political issues are deliberately calculated to achieve his advancement in politics. I have gotten to the point where I just want to go take a shower every time the man appears on TV (and that would be a lot of showers because he’s on ALL the time). He’s a snake oil salesman and the snake oil he’s trying to palm off is himself. So far, it’s been working admorably for him. Can he pull it off in November? Let’s hope the voting public wakes up before then.

9. Sam says:

Rich,I agree with you that no mainline Protestant denomination officially professes the "Jesus is a great teacher, but not divine" idea.  However, I think that there are substantial minorities within those bodies that do believe that way.  I have experience within my own denomination that leads me to think that is the case.  I should have made that more clear in my comment above.