Gambit

I’ve been reading quite a few news sources and blogs. The word “gambit” comes up a lot in reference to John McCain’s sudden announcement that he will suspend his campaign in order to return to Washington to help broker a deal on the Wall Street bailout.

As a tactical move, it’s pretty strong. He’s – again – grabbed the national news spotlight. The media is going bonkers over this, as are most of the blogs, left and right. Look at Memeorandum right now – McCain has pretty much sucked all the media/blog attention up with this.

As a strategic move, it is either very risky or absolutely brilliant.

IF McCain helps broker a deal and IF that deal contains a poison pill for Wall Street executives in the form of pay restrictions in return for taking the Federal Money, I think McCain wins his gambit. The pay limits would play very, very well with Main Street America. And it would make Obama’s refusal to quit campaigning and fund raising look very, very narcissistic.

It’s a gutsy move. McCain has already scared the socks off of Harry Reid with this one – because it could be a real political dambuster, depending on how it plays out.

This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Gambit

1. Larry Sheldon says:

From reading about Patton, I get the impression that the best strategic moves are both very risky [think about what "risk" really means] AND absolutely brilliant.

2. I go with “very risky,” but it’s a stratagem that has the potential for paying off big-time. It’s one of those moves that will be praised if it works, damned if it doesn’t, but few will remember in the aftermath that it could have gone either way.

This is the kind of move Alexander made when crossing the Granicus, Caesar when deciding to fight both besieged and relievers at Alesia, or Nimitz before Midway: this is the move of a soldier who see a chance both to knock his foe out and serve his country, not that of a lawyer-cum-politician.

I hope it works, both for his sake and the nation’s. But,win or lose, McCain has earned my admiration with this. And, if it does work and McCain wins, Harry Reid’s dare to him yesterday will go down as one of the great blunders of politics.

3. syn says:

McCain the Politician may get those Wallstreet CEO however he has yet to confront the real problem, his dear friend in Congress. His dear friends in COngress caused the problem yet he failed back in 2005 to get his dear friend in Congress to solve the systematic Congressional looting his dear friends did to the American people.

McCain-Feingold-McCain-Kennedy-McCain-Leiberman…where is the bi-partisian bill to to deal with his friend’s mortgage looting? Nothing, Nada, Zip.

I highly doubt he will Reform Congress., he’s like Obama wanker ya’lls chain.

Gov Palin I believe, she has acutal experince in Reform.

McCain the Politician? he is a member of the most corrupt COngress in US history.

4. syn says:

Why in the hell are McCain’s dear friends Barney Frank and Chris Dodd allowed anywhere near the Congress; their looting was 100 times worse than Ken Lay at Enron!!!!

If McCain the Politician really had balls he would be demanding resignations from his dear friends in Congress.

Big deal on Wallstreet so what that’s easy… only the cowards would the strawman.

If we really want to solve the mess first deal with the source of the problem.

All McCain is doing by ignoring Congress and focusing on Wallstreet is making the problem bigger.

I am so fed up with the BS coming out COngress, and McCain the politician is just making me that much more disgusted.

So

5. syn says:

Ed Morrissey syas it beeter than I:
    “While I’m pleased that both Senators are standing up for conservative principles, and from DeMint this comes as no surprise, the fact is that this mess is not just of Wall Street’s making [see update below]. Right now, Congress is doing its level best to pretend it had nothing to do with this failure, and Chris Dodd — as the chair of the committee that was supposed to exercise oversight on this industry — is spinning the fastest. The more Congress can shove the blame entirely onto Wall Street, the better off it looks, but that’s simply not the case”

There is no excuse for McCain the Politician to protect his dear friends in Congress while at the same time promise Reform.

Go Palin (Reform McCain 08)

6. Neo says:

KROFT: Why you? I mean, why do you think you would be a good president?

OBAMA: Well, I was going to get to that.

KROFT: Go ahead.

OBAMA: You know, I’m a, I’m a practical person. One of the things I’m good at is getting people in a room with a bunch of different ideas who sometimes violently disagree with each other and finding common ground and a sense of common direction. And that’s the kind of approach that I think prevents you from making some of the enormous mistakes that we’ve seen over the last eight years.

Isn’t this exactly what John McCain is doing ?

So it now takes an invitation from the President to get Obama to join in the discussions .. LOL

7. feeblemind says:

I don’t know how the political posturing will turn out on this, but this legislative ‘crisis’ is right up McCain’s alley. He loves to steal the limelight in these situations. I fear he will help tweak the bill with lots of populist additions in the spirit of ‘bipartisanship’. Like Syn, I am watching the debacle unfold with glum resignation.

The Dems are calling for McCain’s help then telling him not to bother. They don’t know which way to go. By suspending his campaign and rushing back to Washington he has stolen the limelight yet again form the Obamessiah (who tried, apparently unsuccessfully, early on yesterday to claim it was all his idea after McCain made the announcement). I think the telling point is that I heard a usually very liberal radio announcer locally here in Tallahasse say this morning (refering to McCain) “He’s doing what he’s supposed to do, what he was elected to do – be a senator and work to fix the crisis.” Is there any better indication than that coming from a liberal?

9. Ropelight says:

I assume syn isn’t a native speaker, however, I agree that both Chris Dodd and Barney Frank should recuse themselves from the debate.

Their conflict of interest is, or should be to anyone with their eyes open, glaringly obvious. So too should Obama recuse himself, or be recused for cause. He not only took money from the top executives at Fannie May, he also put 2 of them on his list of economic advisors, one helped pick Obama’s VP.

With Dodd and Frank, plus Obama’s participation in the bailout talks, how can taxpayers or voters be sure the same guys who created this crisis aren’t now going to make it worse?

It now looks like the McCain “gambit” may have failed. McCain has blinked and allowed the Obamessiah to coerce him into attending the debate tonight. Unless McCain thouroughly trounces Obama tonight, the campaign may be over.

11. Sean the Maggot says:

Senator McCain still is a senator, so what he did is what is required. That Obama ain’t going back is quite telling about how he feels about being a senator. Dude, your boss needs you to do your job, you do it. The dems calling McCain back then taking it back was to try to destabilize his campaign. Well, that worked out real well,eh? Heh, for a group that don’t like guns, they sure know how to metaphorically shoot themselves in the foot.

It’s like Governor Palin’s handing them a rifle, some ammo and a blindfold.