On Hysteria – A Project For Readers

Victor Davis Hanson calls it “The Hysterical Style”. The endless yammering for an instant solution to the economic problems of today and the mindless calls for the overturning of the Constitution.

Politicians now predict the implosion of the U.S. auto industry. Headlines warn that the entire banking system is on the verge of utter collapse. The all-day/all-night cable news shows and op-ed columnists talk of another Dark Age on the horizon, as each day another corporation lines up for its me-too bailout.

News magazines depict President-Elect Obama as the new Franklin Delano Roosevelt, facing a crisis akin to the Great Depression. Columnists for the New York Times even dream that George Bush might just resign now to allow the savior Obama a two-month head start on his presidency.

We are witnessing a new hysterical style, in which the Baby Boomer “me generation” that now runs America jettisons knowledge of the past and daily proclaims that each new development requires both a radical solution and another bogeyman to blame for being mean or unfair to them.

How much of the hysteria is media hype? Probably quite a lot. Jobless claims fell last month. If the Detroit automakers were to actually have to restructure, life would go on. We have not suffered the actual economic disaster that followed the 1929 crash.

It is simply not as bad as the media is painting it. Remember, these folks have admitted to being in the tank for Obama. How much of this hysteria is purely manufactured to make Obama look better when he takes office? My wife went to the mall a couple of days ago and was shocked to see it packed with shoppers. She had heard media reports that things were awful in the retail sector and expected no crowds. Instead, she left shortly after arriving, frustrated by the horde of shoppers. She has vowed not to go out of the house at all tomorrow, Black Friday.

So, here’s an idea. Go out tomorrow with a camera and take a picture of your local mall’s parking lot. Send them here (A special mailbox named project1 at (this domain) has been set up just for this purpose. I intend to kill the email address after a few days.) with info on when and where you took the picture and I’ll post them. Take some pictures of your local restaurant parking lots as well. The only cure for disinformation is more – good – information.

Are there economic problems right now? Of course there are. Have they mostly been caused by the irresponsible who are now demanding our money to save them from their lousy decisions? Yep. Stop buying the hype and push back. Are you really willing to mortgage your children’s futures to pay bad businessmen huge payouts?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to On Hysteria – A Project For Readers

1. Don L says:

I’m still shaking my head over the widely disseminated lie of Bill CLinton that he inherited the worst economy in fifty years. It’s just the way the “unhindered by deceit” left manipulates things.

As far as those who demand our money -they love to call those who don’t wish to give it to them greedy while ignoring the commandment about “envy” being sin, as they see blessing in soaking the rich.

2. Straight8 says:

Also check the attendance at NFL games. The stadiums are packed, except for a couple with lousy teams.

3. Uncle Fester says:

Got no photos yet but the line was forming at the local Best Buy here in Katy, TX on Wednesday night while The Brunette reports that all the parking lots at local stores are full this AM.

It has been said that the only way Democrats can win, especially the White House, is if the economy is bad. So, the lefties and their media lackeys spent all of the Bush years yammering about how bad the economy was and getting worse, when in reality it was one of the most dynamic economies in decades, that their whining and moaning scared people so much it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Add that to the mortgage crisis (also of the Democrats’ manufacture) – which wouldn’t have been nearly as big a crisis if they hadn’t scared the s**t out of everyone – and you have an atmosphere where a relatively unknown and monumentally unprepared far left socialist candidate can win the presidential election. The only problem is that now the economy really IS in the cellar and now they have to do something about it. Think they can? It would be fun to watch their twisting and scrambling if it wasn’t hurting all of the rest of the country in the meantime. Do they care? I’ll leave that up to you readers to draw your own conclusions there.

5. iamfelix says:

I came home from Thanksgiving at my sister’s at 5:00 am, and every dept. store parking lot I passed (6, to be exact) was JAMMED. I don’t do “Black Friday,” as I hate crowds, but everything looked to be doing well — even here in Michigan, which is worse shape than most of the 50. Viva capitalism!

I’m a test driver for GM (which requires *much* radio listening), and I remember all through the 80s listening at work and hearing all the hand-wringing about the homelessness and horrible economy of the Reagan administration, and kept thinking WTF??? … Where are the bread lines? The people selling apples or pencils on the corners?? Most everyone I saw was reasonably happy and prosperous, if not fabulously wealthy. Hysteria, indeed.

6. Thomas Pfau says:

My wife and I went out late this morning to pick up some furniture we ordered a couple of months ago. We didn’t stop in any malls but we drove past several along Rt. 1 in central New Jersey. I wouldn’t say the parking lots were full but they were pretty close. Unfortunately I didn’t get a view of the largest mall as we drove by because the traffic was pretty heavy at that point.

When we got to the furniture store they had signs on the windows saying that over 300 pieces were marked down. We put the pieces we were picking up into the car and went back for a corner cabinet we looked at two months ago. It was nearly 20% off.

I’d say the stores were busy but not the busiest I’ve seen. I saw cars parked in areas of lots that usually aren’t used but it was still possible to find a parking space within walking distance of the stores.