Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others

Victor Davis Hanson writes of life at the new Animal Farm.

By July, we will come to feel that 2009 will be one of the most upbeat years in our history, as what used to be the news media? begins to get behind America and report on all the mysteriously wonderful things that are suddenly taking place.

All the campaign talk of the Great Depression, a Vietnam-like war, and our shredded Constitution will now thankfully subside as the Obama administration assumes office and solves problems with conciliation, dialogue, and multilateral wisdom, rather than shrillness, unilateralism, preemption, and my-way-or-the-highway dogmatism. We will hear that, by historical levels, unemployment is still not that bad, that GDP growth is not historically all that low, and that deficits, inflation, interest rates, and housing starts are all within manageable parameters. “Depression” will transmogrify into “recession” which in turn by July will be a “downturn” and by year next an “upswing” on its way to boom times.

Indeed, almost supernaturally crises will be solved with the departure of the hated Bush: no more flooding streets from cracked water mains that were a result of a President’s neglect of infrastructure, and no more spontaneous crashes of Mississippi River bridges due to diversions of critical federal aid from cash-strapped states to Iraq. And when the temperatures rise or drop, the wind howls, the clouds burst forth or go away, the snow melts or piles up, it will be, well, nature that caused the havoc, not the current occupant of the White House who failed to sign Kyoto.

The press already reports – with completely straight faces – that Team Obama has investigated its own ties with the Rod Blagojevich and has cleared itself of any wrongdoing. Can anyone seriously believe that any Republican would have received the same treatment?

When Obama does pretty much the same thing as Bush has done in the future, can anyone doubt it will be described by the media in completely different words? It, whatever the policy or decision, will be enlightened, not unconstitutional. The press has already been giving free passes to Obama on things that would have sunk a Republican. It will not get better.

Do read the whole thing.

This entry was posted in Media, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others

1. sam says:

I like VDH’s writing, but this is just another entry in a tired theme that I have been reading on the Internet for several years. Rather than bemoaning the fact that the “mainstream media” is hopelessly biased, it is well past time to create the alternative. Whining about the slant and bias has not and will not cause these organizations to change.

There are many blog sites that are becoming news sites with their own reporting and news coverage – and that is one reason I seek them out. I am looking for news that is timely, accurate, and factual, with a minimum of opinion, analysis, and bias. That is the future – not continual whining about the latest sadly biased article from the NYT or the LAT, or whomever.

2. Mockingbird says:

I heard over Christmas that if the economy gets too bad, that Obama will suspend the Law of Gravity.
    That would help the airlines, as well as speed up the recovery of the Oconomy generally.
    It’s the Oconomy, you non-Harvard grad!

Sam, yes, we probably will not make these organizations change. But it is still important to call them at every opportunity. Many people are getting their information more and more from the internet. It is therefore important to throw the flag so people can decide for themselves that there is a problem.

My seventh grade teacher taught us how to read between the lines of a newspaper story. How to strip out the skewed language and judge for ourselves what was really being said. How to think beyond the words on paper and think for ourselves. (Bless you, Miss M.) I don’t think there are still many teachers who do that these days.

4. sam says:

I wasn’t criticizing Blue Crab Boulevard – just venting my frustration. I enjoy your site and visit here almost every day. It is a regular source of information. I also read articles every day about the financial troubles and demise of the traditional newspapers. Other than feeling schadenfreude at the troubles these biased news outlets are suffering, it seems to me that a more constructive response is to work toward creating an alternative. Thanks again for all your work.

It wasn’t taken as an insult or as criticism, Sam. I agree with you that viable alternatives need to be developed. Otherwise, we’re all going to the knacker.

6. feeblemind says:

@Gaius 6:01. I had an English teacher (Sr yr in HS) that did the same thing. We had to take newspaper articles apart line by line and label what was fact, opinion, and conjecture.

I wish they still taught that. It has made a huge difference for me. It teaches more about thinking and reasoning than anything they are teaching today.

8. Mwalimu Daudi says:

I think that Gaius and Sam should do a cyber hug. This is the Obamanation, after all…..