And Mad At Taxes

Glenn Reynolds, writing in the Wall Street Journal, notes that the madness for taxes noted in the previous post is increasingly motivating those who are mad at taxes to mobilize:

Today American taxpayers in more than 300 locations in all 50 states will hold rallies — dubbed “tea parties” — to protest higher taxes and out-of-control government spending. There is no political party behind these rallies, no grand right-wing conspiracy, not even a 501(c) group like MoveOn.org.

So who’s behind the Tax Day tea parties? Ordinary folks who are using the power of the Internet to organize. For a number of years, techno-geeks have been organizing “flash crowds” — groups of people, coordinated by text or cellphone, who converge on a particular location and then do something silly, like the pillow fights that popped up in 50 cities earlier this month. This is part of a general phenomenon dubbed “Smart Mobs” by Howard Rheingold, author of a book by the same title, in which modern communications and social-networking technologies allow quick coordination among large numbers of people who don’t know each other.

The left is trying, rather desperately, to paint this as a Republican effort. It does not appear to be. It looks to be non-partisan. In fact, it should be a real warning to all politicians, regardless of party, that a backlash is building.

If I lived in Oregon, I’d look at reports of the Democrat’s plans for a 1,900% tax increase on beer and then begin looking for a Tea Party near me.  That tax is going to pound those least able to afford it, regardless of party affiliation.

This entry was posted in Democracy, Politics, Taxes. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to And Mad At Taxes

1. kidrob says:

yep a cold tea party anyone?

2. syn says:

Does not help when people like this guy go after any who dissents against the federal government’s massive spending plan while intruding upon State’s Rights:

Pardon me Mr AJ Strata you are so wrong in so many ways…Timothy McVeigh is in prison while Bill Ayers is a tenured professor at a major university.

Moderates are sometimes worse than the Statist Left because they present themselves to be reasonable when they are really defending Liberal Fascist philosophy.

3. syn says:

And another thing!

Has Professor Glenn Reynolds said anything about his professional peers in his tenured community being allowed to freely lecture on the ways and means of destroying America trough anarchy, lawlessness and disorder?

I guess being a domestic terrorist who is free to blow-up police stations and private homes is quite alright as long as you have an Ivy-Tower degree?

America’s biggest problem is that we are being educated by Darwinian apes who are devolving back towards a primitive state of slime.

4. Maury Siskel says:

Three honks of a canned air horn at noon local time or auto horn if driving at the time …… canned air horns at auto parts stores, marine supply, Wal-Mart etc.
    Best,
    MaurySiskel

5. AJStrata says:

Syn,

Come over and post your comments on my site so I can correct your misinformation.

I for one cannot stand the way the liberals are bankrupting the American people for generations.

The fact I am not a Bill Ayers or McVeigh is why I am slamming the conservative drama queens for smearing the good people at DHS.

But you make a good point, I cannot dissent with the far right without being slandered and smeared by them!

How liberal of them.

You have not been slandered or smeared by one of my posts, AJ.

You, having been blogging for quite some time, should also know that the blogger is not responsible for the comments on his/her site. Please use a slightly finer brush.

And for the record, I have not even seen your post yet, so I have no clue what this is all about as yet.

7. feeblemind says:

Re Syn: A quibble. Timothy McVeigh is no longer in prison. He is dead. Executed some years ago. As for Mr AJ, meh. I lurked at his blog for the last time maybe 3 yrs ago.