NYT Columnist: The REAL Enemy Is The US Military

Or rather, veterans thereof. In a remarkably fact-free opinion filled with “may” “probably” and “could” statements, a New York Times op-ed columnist warns of the “danger” American veterans “could” pose – according to the US Department of Homeland Security. He also smears those who enter the American Special Forces.

You know, those guys who just rescued an American merchant captain from pirates.

These soldiers could prove fertile ground for men hoping to prey on their fear, loneliness and dispossession.

And those extremist leaders may be able to connect more easily with some of these soldiers because many were soldiers themselves. According to the F.B.I. report, “although individuals with military backgrounds constitute a small percentage of white supremacist extremists, they frequently occupy leadership roles.”

Because many know firsthand the value of military experience, they not only recruit those leaving the military, they send recruits into it. According to Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center, “Many white supremacists over the years have pushed their followers to join the military and enter either the special forces, where the training is judged to be the best in the world, or the infantry, where you will learn the skills necessary to fight the coming race war.”

We have here opinion based on opinion as reported by media opinion and innuendo.

I’ll leave it up to the reader to figure out what is wrong with the “reasoning” of this commentary from the NYT.

For the record, I am considerably less afraid of the US Special Forces than I am of this particular variety of “reasoning”.

This entry was posted in Appalling, Media. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to NYT Columnist: The REAL Enemy Is The US Military

1. kidrob says:

hewoh wabbitt

2. lynndh says:

It is assumed that the Vets would be drawn to Right Wing groups. What a baseless assumption. Could they not also go to Left Wing groups. They do exist, but again the assumption is that Right is bad, Left is good. We all know what assumptions make of you.

3. Noel says:

The Times has leaked vital info to the enemy. I’d say they’re the greater security threat.

4. crosspatch says:

Psychological screening is a key part of initial training.

Read this PDF … the section on Psychological Assessment.

I have a feeling that the people who write this stuff have little understanding of what they are talking about.

5. crosspatch says:

Now that I think more about it, I would be more worried about washouts from the programs than the people who make it through. McVeigh, for example, was a washout. Never made it past the initial training phase, I believe. He left the military shortly after.

6. Andy Vance says:

Never made it past the initial training phase

Eh? He earned a Bronze Star.

7. crosspatch says:

Andy, he earned the Bronze Star as a mechanized infantryman. After the Gulf War he applied to go to Special Forces training and washed out. He left the military shortly after.

8. Straight8 says:

I am classified by my gov’t as a right-wing nutjob. Well, I’m certainly proud to be in the same classification as those Navy Seals who offed the pirates.

9. Pingback: Sorta Blogless Sunday Pinup » Pirate’s Cove