Freezing Fourth

Current temperatures as of the time this post was written:

Chicago, Illinois: 66° F (and raining)

Indianapolis, Indiana: 63° F  (and raining)

Erie, Pennsylvania: 69° F  (but sunny)

Minneapolis, Minnesota: 69° F  (partly sunny)

It is July 4th. It is supposed to be high summer. Where I live, it is currently 65° F , cloudy and has been drizzling off and on all day with a stiff wind out of the north.

My thermometer is reading some 5° F  lower than the “official” temperature for my area, too. I do not think my thermometer is wrong – it is getting near jacket/sweatshirt temperature out there. (I think I’m going to invest in a calibrated thermometer.)

All I know is that this is one of the coldest 4th of July’s I remember. It’s really good weather for a bonfire, but it is too windy for that.

This entry was posted in Environment, Observations. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Freezing Fourth

1. chuck says:

Well, it is about to get warmer in Alaska

2. It’s only 67 here in the Eugene-Springfield area, but then, it’s 12:12 AM. The high today was 95.6, barometric pressure was in the 29.9 range.

Yeah, sucks to live in the cold, rainy Northwest.

3. Ropelight says:

Count your blessings. I’ve relocated to SW Florida and it’s a bit on the warm side down here, especially for fat guys. Well over 90 degrees every day with high humidity and thunder storms most evenings.

Oh, Yeah, the weather’s wonderful here from October to May. You can’t beat it, and I say that after over 35 years on the California coast. But it’s just too hot and humid now. If not for air conditioning 85% or better of the year-round population would be elsewhere.

BTW, if Obama gets Cap and Trade look for energy prices to skyrocket, that will put even more vacation home real estate on an already bloated market.

If you’re looking for a retirement home, and don’t mind hot summers, keep your eyes on sun belt second homes. There are lots of great places on the market now at reasonable prices. But look for give aways if the cost of cool air goes through the roof.

4. feeblemind says:

One of the coolest Fourths I can remember as well, Gaius. Wheat harvest should be in full swing, and some years it is cpmpleted by now. This year we haven’t started. Crop is late due to cool weather. Is it not interesting that just a couple of years ago we were told every year would be hotter than the one previous…because computer models said so? Now we are told that ‘extreme’ weather swings are just part of the uptrend, though I haven’t seen any of the computer models predict this.

5. Larry Sheldon says:

In yesterday’s news from the Weather Underground (someday I have to find out the history of that name!):

Public Information Statement

Statement as of 7:38 PM CDT on July 4, 2009

… Record coldest 4th of July on record at Norfolk…

… Second coldest 4th of July on record at Omaha…

… Fourth coldest 4th of July on record at Lincoln…

The high temperature today at Norfolk was 69 degrees… which is the coldest high temperature on record for July 4. The previous record of 70 degrees was set in 1915 and tied in 1972.

And I just notice that the indicator in the upper left corner of http://members.cox.net/larrysheldon/ is showing “Active” in yellow for the first time in a long time (2 years?).

6. Mwalimu Daudi says:

Heathens! Deniers! Burn them at the stake! Ah- no! Too much CO2! Sentence them to death by watching Joe Biden speeches!

7. Ropelight,

My in-laws live just east of Fort Myers and we just got back from visiting them over the first two weeks of June — weather was gorgeous, but yeah, the last couple of days were hot and muggy. Ugh.

I might consider snowbirding some day, but I couldn’t hack the summers, and I couldn’t live year round without mountains.

A friend of our family years back in the 1960s planned his retirement carefully. He bought a motel in Florida planning to make that his retirement career, so to speak.

He lasted a year and a half before he sold the motel and moved back to Rochester, New York.

He loved the winters down there but could not even begin to handle the summer weather.

(He’d bought the motel in the winter months – and he sold it during the same period.)

9. Rich Horton says:

Went for a Fourth of July walk with my wife last night and had to break out a sweatshirt.

Today was better – around 80 but with dry air and a cool North breeze. A really nice day – just not typical of July in these parts.

11. crosspatch says:

About 10 degrees below normal here the past couple of days. Forecast says it isn’t to break 80 for the next 4 days. Unusual even for this part of Northern California. “Normal” for here is 83 on this date. Yesterday’s high was 72. Quite comfortable but 11 degrees below “normal”.

Monster hot in N.Florida. The last week of June we had temps in the triple digits every day – broke several records. Still in the high nineties through the 4th with a high of 99 on the 4th itself. We’ve been burning up here.