You Knew I Would

Longtime readers know my affection for all things geek. So you knew I was one of several gazillion beta testers for Windows 7.

So you knew in your hearts that I was going to go with Windows 7 sooner or later. It’s sooner.

I got a new laptop with Windows 7 installed on it. And I like it.

So far, it has been rock solid. I have transferred most of the files and settings from my old – heavy – warhorse Dell D800 over to the new – lighter – HP and have had zero problems so far. Setup of networking was easier than it ever was with Windows XP. Transfer from the XP machine was simple with the included software (you only have to load the software on the old machine. I found it easiest to use a flash drive for that.) Then I set up an ad hoc network for the two machines and they cheerfully loaded all the old stuff. Including desktop files, music, pictures and a whole bunch of stuff I had forgotten was on the old comp.

It is much, much more pleasant to use than Vista and it is fast.

I’ll keep the XP boxes I have. At least one of them will become a home server in time. So far, I have had absolutely no issues with Windows 7 and have generally been really, really pleased. Pleased enough to have bought some of the upgrade deals to install on the kid’s Vista machines. I’ll let you know how that upgrade goes when I do it.

This entry was posted in Geek Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to You Knew I Would

1. Rich Horton says:

It’s good to hear this is an easy transition to make. I bought a Vista machine a couple months back with a free upgrade to 7. My disc is winging its way to me and I’ll be switching it over sometime next week.

I’m not so geeky/tech savvy, but I’ve heard good things about the way 7 easily runs older software (which has been my main hang-up with Vista.)

Any word if 7 is more compatible with older gadgets? I’ve an old camera I’m hoping to get more use out of….

2. Tully says:

I beta’d W7 as well. I’ll be switching the home boxes over one by one on the Family three-box license, as hardware updates to match.

Rich, better run this tool if you’re depending on running older software under XP Virtual emulation. The WinXp virtual emulation depends somewhat on your hardware.

DIE VISTA DIE.

3. Tully says:

Oh, and the Win7 Upgrade Advisor to check your computer’s overall compatibility with Win7 is HERE

I have had no compatibility issues thus far. W7 is very good at detecting every device (so far) and simply installing drivers for them. This includes a printer that is a couple years out of date (although they did provide Vista drivers for it after I bought it.) I even put a wireless mouse on that would not run on a Vista box and W7 saw it, installed drivers and away it scrolled, so to speak.

Like I said, so far, so good. I’m planning on putting an older printer on a wireless point. We’ll see how that works out.

5. Tully says:

The only trouble I had on my beta box was with an older video card. But I didn’t test out the XP emulation or put anything heavy in the way of older software on it.

I ran a copy of Photoshop Elements 5 on the beta box with zero problems. That’s about the most elaborate software test I did. I have not had to try out the XP emulation as of yet (I’m running 7 Ultimate on this machine) so I have no opinion of that bit yet.

7. Flyfish says:

This summer I bought a gateway with Vista home premium that was nothing but one problem after another. At the suggestion of a friend I tried the Win 7 RC, installed the dual boot with the original factory Vista installation. I haven’t run Vista since.

the XP emulation is pretty nice. I was attempting to install CH Control center (for joystick, throttle etc.) and it failed because of the windows version. My PC threw a popup asking if I wanted it to ‘take care of the installation problems’. I clicked ok and it installed the stick software and everything runs fine. That’s enough to get me to shell out for a Home premium to professional upgrade.

8. Tully says:

Yeah, I’m going to install the Family Home pack on the family’s computers, and W7 Pro in my box as a dual boot with the XP Pro already on it.

I did have some initial stablity problems with the W7 Beta box, which went away when when I quit overclocking it and dialed it back to stock config. No surprise there. It was stable as a rock after that, despite being a somewhat older (P4) box.

BTW, my spousal unit is the IT manager for a huge medical practice, and when the doctors wanted to bring in Vista because it was new and shiny, her response was “So do want my resignation now, or would you rather I stick around and rub salt in that wound until you fire me in pained disgust?” So the only Vista in that practice was personal laptops, and she’s spent a good bit of time over the last few years “downgrading” the doctors laptops to XP for them as they gave up on Vista.